Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Eclipse in Okinawa

I saw my first Eclipse and I can still see. Whew. I was a little worried about it.
We were doing a fundraiser today for our Army peeps and thank goodness some of them were prepared so we could see it.
Here it is without the special glasses. Not much to look at.

Ahh this is what it is supposed to look like.

Very cool..

Click on this to see how cool it is.

Cropped to see it closer.

This was just funny, everywhere I looked were people looking up at the eclipse.

Just one more reason Okinawa is the place to be!!

I copied this off my friend Joelle's blog. A little info for you.

"The solar eclipse of July 22, 2009, is the longest total solar eclipse of the 21st century, lasting at most 6 minutes, 39 seconds.... It will be visible from a narrow corridor through northern Maldives, northern Pakistan and northern India, eastern Nepal, northernBangladesh, Bhutan, the northern tip of Myanmar, central China and the Pacific Ocean, including the Ryukyu Islands, Marshall Islands and Kiribati.... This solar eclipse will be the longest total solar eclipse that will occur in the 21st century, and will not be surpassed in duration until June 13, 2132. Totality will last for up to 6 minutes and 39 seconds, with the maximum eclipse occurring in the ocean at 02:35:21UTC about 100 km south of the Bonin Islands, southeast of Japan. The uninhabited North Iwo Jima island is the landmass with totality time closest to maximum, while the closest inhabited point is Akusekijima, where the eclipse will last 6 minutes and 26 seconds

2 comments:

Isla Familia said...

Very cool...i love how people will just follow suit when in a crowd!! :o)

Joelle said...

Been feeling very guilty that though I read alllll your posts in my reader, I never click on them to comment! BUT YOU COMMENT ON MINE! So will remedy that, friend. And yes, I too am glad you aren't blind.